Sunday, October 08, 2006

Laughter

"Will a day come when the race will detect the funniness of these juvenilities and laugh at them - and by laughing at them destroy them? For your race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon - laughter. Power, money, persuasion, supplication, persecution - these can lift a colossal humbug, - push it a little - crowd it a little - weaken it a little, century by century: but only Laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of Laughter nothing can stand."
"The Chronicle of Young Satan, Mysterious Stanger Manuscripts" by Mark Twain

My husband and I were walking yesterday in the woods. He wanted me to walk ahead of him so I could break any spider webs first. Sometimes you don't see their gossamer threads until they are wrapped around you. I asked him if he remembered the time I went through one of those webs, way back in the days of our first dates, and threw my purse to the ground, dropped and rolled, all the while screaming? He laughed just recalling it. He was no help to me while the killer spider was surprised and probably trying to escape my lunacy.

So, then I recalled how 8 years ago when we were looking for a house with some property, we looked at one in Tickfaw, LA. The owner/agent took us into the backyard to show us the spread and there was a very big boxer-looking dog back there, whom she assured us was friendly and playful. After getting on the side of the huge garage, her dog started head-butting me with it's massive, hard head. It would put my wrist and ankles in it's mouth too. The owner was apologetic and powerless to stop it from "playing" with me. My husband, and our real estate agent too, were convulsing with laughter. Finally, our agent, who later told me she laughed all the way home (an hour's drive, got herself safely inside, cracked the sliding glass door just a little and said, "hurry, Janine, come inside." That dog kept trying to prevent me from getting away by butting me into the outdoor garage in the backyard. Only the owner of the house was not laughing. It was a very absurd situation. We laughed while remembering the incident. I could even laugh then. It would have been much more funnier if it had been someone else, though.

No comments: